At the theory level, SKLURE focuses on the ecology of SENCE, the interaction mechanisms between human and natural ecosystems at multiple scales, and ecological cybernetics of SENCE. At the methodology level, SKLURE focuses on methodology of ecosystem assessment and planning, methods and strategies of and ecological protection and rehabilitation. At the application level, SKLURE focuses on regional eco-security strategies, methodologies and countermeasures of sustainable development, and strategies for major eco-environmental problems in China.
The major research fields are:
(1) Characteristics and Cybernetics of Urban Ecosystem: Mainly focus on characteristics and evolution principles of structure, process, function and pattern of urban ecosystem, ecological effects of urban land use pattern change and economic and social development with urbanization, characteristics and factors influencing urban ecosystem metabolism, cybernetics of urban ecosystem, methodology of ecological construction.
(2) Landscape Pattern and Ecological Process: Mainly focus on the interrelationships between landscape pattern and ecological processes, the ecological and environmental impacts of land use change, modeling of landscape dynamics, regional ecological security pattern and ecological restoration design.
(3) Environmental Change and Ecological Response: Mainly focus on ecological effect and ecosystem response mechanism under environmental change and atmospheric pollution such as climate change, acid deposition, SO2 and O3, methods and measures for ecological restoration, biogeochemical cycling processes of major elements, the structure, distribution, diversity and function of microbial community of degraded soil ecosystem, theories and methodologies of ecological remediation of soil ecosystems.
(4) Ecological Evaluation and Ecosystem Management: Mainly focus on evolution mechanisms of structure, process, and function of ecosystem under anthropogenic stresses, methodologies of analysis and simulation of SENCE, theories and methodologies of urban and regional ecological planning, cybernetics of SENCE and ecological management.
(5) Environmental Risk and Environmental Management: Mainly focus on formation mechanisms and control techniques of China’s major ecological problems, environmental risk assessment and control strategies of major construction projects, spatial diffusion, ecological effects and management strategies of major pollutants at urban and at regional scale, theories and methodologies of environmental management for national needs.